Shadow Ridge is a veteran owned, craft distillery based in North County San Diego in the city of Oceanside, California.
The owner and head distiller, Sean Hallman, is a Navy veteran and he has an extensive background in brewing beer, which he uses that experience to experiment with his whiskies to bring out a phenomenal product.
We received an advanced bottle to sample which is the one we reviewed.
Due to release in August 2018, Shadow Ridge will be releasing 3 varieties. This single malt we just reviewed, in addition to a Bourbon and another one they're calling their "Special Release."
Between small stills and unique shapes, he uses unique yeast strains and varying temperatures to give his whiskey a uniquely creamy texture, especially noticeable in the single malt.
The single malt uses 60% peated or cherry wood smoked barley, with the other 40% comprising of vienna and crystal malts.
For a young whiskey, it's surprisingly complex and not "green" at all. He ages his whiskey in 5 gallon barrels.
The Shadow Ridge Single Malt whiskey is one of my personal favorite whiskies. I love the creamy texture and taste this brings out with a touch of smoke.
It actually currently holds my highest rated score for the channel yet!
I highly encourage you check them out if you're local and take a tour. Sean loves to talk whiskey and will gladly give you a personal tour when available. Hit them up at: Shadow Ridge Facebook
Or on their website: Shadow Ridge Website
Check out our full review below:
Update 8/10/18: I was able to interview Sean for the podcast and you can hear that below:
As a fan of scotch and other whiskeys I was tired of looking up reviews for new whiskeys that just oozed of snobbery. I wanted to create an outlet for average Joe's who don't have a sommelier palate. Born and raised in Long Island, New York, I moved to San Diego, California in 2010 with my wife. I'm also a fan of MMA, pro-wrestling, comic books, video games and strongman. All subjects are topic for discussion on the podcast.
Skip the wait-list and save 10% with our promo code: BROLIC
Glencairn Glass set
Sample Size Bottles
Angels Share dropper set
A Must-Own Book
Whiskey Advocate Magazine